Barbon to Ingleton
Barbon is a small, but lovely, village on the edge of Cumbria nestling at the foot of Barbondale where Barbon Beck emerges from its wooded confines between the steep slopes of Thorn Moor and Barbon Low Fell before entering the River Lune. It is another community on the trail that was on the disused Ingleton-Tebay line and had its own station situated behind the Barbon Inn. However, it has much older roots as it lay on the ancient route of a Roman road from Ribchester which linked up with the Maiden Way and then on to Kirkby Thore and Hadrian’s Wall. The Manor of Barbon, mentioned in the Domesday Book Survey, was bought in 1591 by the Shuttleworth family and it is still in the ownership of the family today. The present Barbon Manor, built in the style of a French chateau in 1863, is well known as the venue of two major hillclimbs – for motor cars and motorcycles.
The trail follows Barbon Beck through its wooded valley within the manor’s grounds to emerge onto the fellside and then winds around between Barbon High Fell and Barbon Low Fell to arrive at Bullpot Farm, the base of the Red Rose Cave and Pothole club. Very soon, and right by the path, is Bull Pot of the Witches from which the farmhouse gets its name. This is the first of a number of potholes close to the route which threads its way between them to arrive at the surprising and impressive Kirk Gill. Here the county of Lancashire is entered briefly whilst crossing a finger of land enclosing Leck, where the trail
All of the photographs on the Howgills and Limestone Trail site were taken by Derek Cockell when he and his wife Alison helped to test walk the route in 2011 and 2012. All photos are strictly copyright of Derek Cockell.
Sedbergh to Barbon
Ingleton to Horton in Ribblesdale